This is a blog that concentrates on the influences and writing of two aspiring author friends called Thadeus Morticaine and Dan Coghlan. They have been friends for many years and found that they have a common interest in what they write, even though they write different things.

Thadeus Morticaine is working on a series of Folk horror stories, fantasy stories, some ghost stories and some sci-fi. He likes HP Lovecraft, Gareth L Powell, Robert Rankin and Kim Newman. He is also very much into his folktales and Celtic and Norse myths and legends.

Dan Coghlan is currently working on a Sword and Sorcery series about a Wood Elf Barbarian, and also a pulp fiction style series of Post-Apocalyptic stories. He likes Robert E Howard and Steve Dilks, as well as Lin Carter and Clarke Ashton Smith.

The Dark Garret twitter account can be found here at @GarretDark.

Tuesday, February 15, 2022

 Hello everyone!

I realise that it's been quite a while since I last left a post on here - has it really been more than two year?!

Anyway, I do still intend to upload to the blog on occasions, even if they are sporadic. I had first intended to upload weekly, then monthly. There was a period when I used the blog as a person interest thing with things of related content to what was being written, from folklore to the supernatural, from crime to literature. I suppose I haven't really fully grasped or appreciated what I could or should do with this blog.

I think I could still try and do that if things come up that are relevant. What do you think to that? I get the Fortean Times regularly and could comment on that?

I also got into wargaming and TTRPGs, I could comment on that too, if there was interest. Even if it was very minor. I know that's diversifying topics on something that should remain quite specific. But I'm thinking of using it for things that inspire or help or generally tie in some how with my writing and it's process.

Anyway, on the writing front, I am still forging ahead. I realise that over the last two years the world has gone a bit weird. Its plain weird all over now and though I've been quite lucky with it all, I've felt quite bogged down with everything that's gone on in this changing world and there have been a few health concerns on top of that too. I hope they are settling down now. I hope this will settle into something a bit more stable or generally better soon. Hopefully both.

So, that is sort of why I've not been up much.

Over the last few months, I have been trying to catch up with things a bit. Though Thadeus Morticaine is taking a bit of a rest from the writing process to ponder some of the strange things of the universe and wander the faery pathways into strange lands and find brilliant ephemeral things, Dan Coghlan has been quite busy.

Dan has been busting through a few first drafts. He has currently three short stories and a poem under his belt, though the poem and one of the stories he is unsure of what to precisely do with. There is also a novella he is currently working on, which will accompany another planned novella and a planned short story. There are also another two planned novellas and three planned short stories. Hopefully, he'll organise himself so that the first two connected novellas will be published over the next couple of months or so. He also has his mind set on a trilogy of novels too.

Needless to say, he is very much enjoying writing these Sword and Sorcery stories based on Gwaeloch Irisgarth the barbarian elf from the hill lands. Hopefully you'll be hearing more about all the magic and sword swinging action in later posts.

With that, I shall leave you all to enjoy your days, afternoons, evening and nights in the best way you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment