This is a blog that concentrates on the influences and writing of two aspiring author friends called Thadeus Morticaine and Dan Coghlan. They have been friends for many years and found that they have a common interest in what they write, even though they write different things.

Thadeus Morticaine is working on a series of Folk horror stories, fantasy stories, some ghost stories and some sci-fi. He likes HP Lovecraft, Gareth L Powell, Robert Rankin and Kim Newman. He is also very much into his folktales and Celtic and Norse myths and legends.

Dan Coghlan is currently working on a Sword and Sorcery series about a Wood Elf Barbarian, and also a pulp fiction style series of Post-Apocalyptic stories. He likes Robert E Howard and Steve Dilks, as well as Lin Carter and Clarke Ashton Smith.

The Dark Garret twitter account can be found here at @GarretDark.

Monday, October 24, 2022

 Hello everyone!

This might be quite a short blog post for today.

I've been trucking on with my writing and the fantasy novella that I've been working on for the passed month is coming along. I'm making progress and working on it each day.

I try and keep a tabs on things with daily updates on a new-ish Twitter account that I set up at @DanCoghlan3 if anyone is interested in following that. I do daily word totals there too.

I had hoped to get the novella done by now, if I'm honest. I'd sort of hoped to have it done a week ago, but that was if I could bust through doing some days where I could work through it unimpeded all day. That's not happened, which is a shame. But I have managed to get a first draft for a fantasy short story done in the mean time.

I'm about three fifths of the way through it now. I may take another break from it when I've reached the end of this chapter and write another fantasy short story. There's one I've wanted to do about a barroom brawl including wizards. I like the idea of things escalating as the patrons get drunk and start trying to use their magick.

To be honest, I'm generally beginning to feel a bit bogged down by this novella. But then again, when I'm at this point in a longer story, I usually feel similar. At the beginning of the story, you always feel full of ideas and feel motivated to get as far as you can and when you get about three quarters of the way through, the end is in sight and you feel eager to see all the drama that unfolds during the climax of the story. I suppose I'm not there yet. I'm still in that middle zone were you haven't got the ending in sight and the vigor you started with has worn off. I suppose I'm just waiting for that 'second wind'. Lets see where I'm at by the end of this month and think again shall we.

Anyway, hopefully tomorrow, I'll have another blog post. I had some post through this morning and I'll soon do an 'unboxing post about what I received. all I'm going to say is that its wargame related, a skirmish game in fact, so it should be curious to any wargamers and roleplay gamers too. Plus, I'll leave this picture as a tease to end this post. I always feel excited when there is an Oakbound Games logo involved.

twitter, wizard, pub, barroom, bar, magick, brawl, barroom brawl, bar room, bar room brawl, magic, magick,The Woods, Oakbound, Oakbound Studios, wargames, wargame, 28mm, skirmish game, model, models, 28mm models, The Woods, Patreon, RPG, ttrpg, game, unboxing, fantasy, sword and sorcery, sorcery, sword, swords, swords and sorcery, short story, story, novella, writing, writer, author, blog post, blog, word count, word, words, update, writing, liche, elf, barbarian, fomori, fimir,
Mystery box from Oakbound Studios


No comments:

Post a Comment